Subject: Re: Download libssh2 source via HTTPS?

Re: Download libssh2 source via HTTPS?

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 13:00:54 +0000

On 4 March 2015 at 12:28, Jakob Egger <jakob_at_eggerapps.at> wrote:

> Am 04.03.2015 um 11:21 schrieb Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
>
> Personally, I wouldn't mind switching over to hosting the source code repo
> at github (which then could provide the code over HTTPS "for free") and then
> on a longer term switch to that bug tracker and allow pull requests there
> etc. All in the name of going where there's already a large amount of users,
> it brings features and it encourages and simplifies collaboration even
> further. Do it "like the kids do". And it makes the infrastructure less
> dependent on individual volunteers.
>

> Yes, Github would be awesome. Is there an argument against moving to Github?

I've been meaning to suggest this for a long time now. We are
short-staffed as it is. Spending time configuring our own servers,
managing a Trac instance and moderating spam, is time that could be
better spent on development.

Another benefit of GitHub is the integration with third-party tooling
such as code quality monitors, CI, etc. For example, the CMake branch
of libssh2 is hosted on GitHub [1] and every commit is built on Linux
[2] and Windows [3] in 40 configurations of
architecture/compiler/crypto/zlib.

To convert from Trac to GitHub, there a plenty of tools that handle
the migration, such as https://github.com/trustmaster/trac2github.

[1] https://github.com/alamaison/libssh2
[2] https://travis-ci.org/alamaison/libssh2/builds/45550541
[3] https://ci.appveyor.com/project/alamaison/libssh2/build/20