Subject: Re: SFTP slow read in libssh2 compared to SecureCRT

Re: SFTP slow read in libssh2 compared to SecureCRT

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 23:53:24 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Lars Nordin wrote:

> and I get 2000 bytes each time. The testfile is 116K.

Let me explain in rough terms why you see this 2000 bytes data and how the
libssh2 SFTP code works.

The SFTP code will take your given buffer size and split it into 2000 bytes
chunks and ask the server for such data packets, as many as can fit in your
buffer.

A 20000 buffer thus ends up asking for 10 such packets - at once. libssh2 will
then return data back as soon as there is data to return, which initially
could be a single 2000 bytes packet but over time should become a whole bunch
of such packets assuming the bandwidth is good enough.

This concept is used because SFTP requires ACKs for ever packet it asks for so
it better ask for a whole bunch at once to suffer less RTT pains.