Subject: Re: breaking the ABI (was Re: 'watch' libssh2 on github)

Re: breaking the ABI (was Re: 'watch' libssh2 on github)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 00:13:10 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015, Will Cosgrove wrote:

> In kmdhgGPsha1kex_state_t, I changed the following:

Ok, but I don't see how any of those changes cause any breaking change.
They're internal and hidden from users so unless I'm missing something they're
totally fine and benign.

> As for the known_hosts error values, in the future I would strongly
> encourage the use of unique error codes going forward. Writing end-user
> applications rely on unique error codes to generate meaningful user error
> strings to present to the user.

But they're different error codes, they're not in a single number range. I
will agree though that it is generally more convenient for everyone to keep
the error codes in the same range even for different functions.

However, I don't think exposing our return codes will be helpful to very many
users...