Subject: Re: The GitHub unicorn

Re: The GitHub unicorn

From: Paul Howarth <paul_at_city-fan.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:20:12 +0000

Another data point for you all:

as a downstream packager in Fedora (mainly lots of perl modules but also
some other things, one of which is libssh2), I'm familiar with preparing
and applying patches, and sending them upstream as and when appropriate.
Given that I already have the patches I'm using downstream, I find that
projects that exclusively use github are actually more of a hassle to
contribute to (for an occasional contributor) because I need to fork the
repo, apply my patch, push it back and create a pull request just to
send my patch upstream, as opposed to a simple email with an attachment
to the upstream maintainer/mailing list. I see that the github flow is
an addition to the traditional flow rather than a replacement here -
please keep it that way.

Paul.