Subject: Re: Download libssh2 source via HTTPS?

Re: Download libssh2 source via HTTPS?

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 06:19:24 +0100

On 8 March 2015 at 23:58, Will Cosgrove <will_at_panic.com> wrote:
> Exactly, here's where I say our diff is as simple as a pull request on github. Review it and apply it to trunk, done. Posting diffs to an email list in 2015 as the preferred way of committing patches, IMHO, is a huge barrier to entry. At least it is for our team.

With Git it is actually very easy. After a one-time configuration it
can be as exceedingly simple as:

git send-email --to libssh2-devel_at_cool.haxx.se master..branch-with-my-fixes

(try it with a --dry-run first)
If the adressee is actually a commiter (and not the list) then the
commiter name as address then git finds the email address
automatically. Useful inside a team, for example. Particularly when
not co-located.

When that's said, I wouldn't mind a move to github. I agree with
Peter's objections about github to some extent, but I believe we
aren't actually being affected by that because after all Git is a
distributed version control system and we are always in full control
of the repository - because a github one would be just another copy
among very many.

-Tor