Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:11:41 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> The reality is that everyone who contributed all the various build system
>> files either do not care or are not capable of fixing that, and Daniel
>> only cares about what he himself uses.
>
> That's not what I said.

You wrote:

"I rather defer all the build stuff on build other systems than my
own to others"

The way those other build files look seems to confirm that you don't
work on them much. I don't blame you, I'm just stating our position.

> The whole reasoning behind keeping the #ifdef
> approach is to make it easier for everyone else.

We could also have a single C file with all of the code, full of
#ifdef, and not have any build system at all. That is even more
ridiculous than compiling files which are *known* to be *empty*..

> If the entire world would use the autotools build system, things would
> be easier and your solution would indeed be the nicest and cleanest.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. I've implemented a solution which
is independent of autotools. Did you look at the patch I sent today?

Do you prefer that I apply it on top of the existing master, or that
I revert d512b25 and squash the new commit into d512b25 so that the
entire change is in a single commit and that we don't have the broken
Makefile.inc state in-between?