Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:08:04 +0200

Guenter wrote:
> as Daniel explained the way to go is this:
> - all files get compiled by all platforms

That's just absurd.

> - the different crypto backend related files get protections like:
> #ifdef USE_OPENSSL
> #endif

I understand that it's tempting to compensate for weak build
environments by abusing the C preprocessor but I think we can
do a bit better than that.

> due to the different make tools (nmake, wmake, ...) we cant have
> conditionals in Makefile.inc

Yes, I acknowledged that in the first reply to Daniel's email.

> since each make tool has different ways of handling conditions

We'll obviously have conditions per make tool, like we have the rest
of the makefiles, but as I wrote in fact there is just nmake to
consider since all other platforms are hardcoded to use OpenSSL. Easy!

> I've spent some time to hack the MSVC makefiles so that they work with
> Makefile.inc which eleminates the need that we maintain these files each
> time source files get added/renamed/removed, and we should keep this way.

I can't take that seriously. The objects.mk thing is pretty awful,
there's no reason not to take advantage of the few features that
nmake actually does offer.