Subject: Re: Use OpenSSL or gcrypt?

Re: Use OpenSSL or gcrypt?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:59:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Casper Langemeijer wrote:

> What is currently the best option to build libssh2 against?

"best" using which measurement? There's no single best so there's no single
answer.

> I see three issues with gcrypt (password on private keyfiles, ~ in keyfile
> paths and public key must be provided) but debian, ubuntu and possibly other
> distro's build libssh2 against libgcrypt.

I'm not aware of that second issue, can you elaborate? Did you find these
issues documented anywhere or would you be able to start such a document?

I would also add that OpenSSL is faster than gcrypt for most algorthims afaik,
and that the most significant difference between them that tend to make people
choose one against the other is their licenses.

> It would be nice we could tell them to build against OpenSSL instead if that
> is a better.

I don't think anyone will stop you.

> Also: It seems to matter what libssh2 was built against. It would be nice if
> I could ask libssh2 that information. Is that possible?

I agree that it would be nice with a function for that but I don't think there
is any!