Subject: Re: Callback for channel data ready

Re: Callback for channel data ready

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:36:02 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Tom Weber wrote:

> But how is that "mode" going to be set? Perhaps in the same manner as
> blocking, as in:

I was thinking that there mere use of the "atomic read" function would be
signal enough. It would then mark the session as done atomic style. I don't
think we need to bother with allowing such a mode to get switched off again.

> Speaking of blocking/nonblocking, the API confuses me when it comes to
> nonblocking mode and a complex operation returning EAGAIN. Say that I call
> libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex() (which involves both a send and receive
> operation) and it returns EAGAIN, then I wonder:
>
> 1) Did EAGAIN happen during send or receive? Do I need to care?

See libssh2_session_block_directions() and you need to care if you want to
wait for the correct socket actitity before you try again.

> 2) Do I have to make the same call again until the operation is complete?

Yes.

> 3) If yes, do I have to pass in the same arguments?

Yes.

> 4) If yes, what happens if I pass in other arguments?

It might cause failure.

> 5) If yes, what happens if I start some other operation before this one is
> complete?

It might cause confusion and badness.

> I think that either the documentation should be clear in this regard (there
> are no pages about the behavior in general)

Please give us your suggestions!

> a clearer asynchronous API should be implemented, and a synchronous one
> which builds on that.

We've discussed something like that but nobody has yet volunteered to do the
work so we keep to the old and existing API...