Subject: Re: libssh2_channel_exec guidance

Re: libssh2_channel_exec guidance

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 19:05:51 +0200

bayan wrote:
> > > The amount of data transferred is exactly the same every time,
> > > at which point it completely halts all transfer.
..
> I kept track of the number of characters transferred each time
> which totals to ~73000 characters (give or take a few,

So which is it? Exactly the same every time, or give or take a few?
Please try not to contradict yourself.

> I suppose due to the way I am measuring it)

This makes absolutely no sense at all. We are talking about discrete
entities (bytes) and there can really only be one way to measure what
you have sent.

There are two metrics that would be interesting:

1. How many bytes of data you have passed to libssh2 on the channel.
2. How many bytes are succesfully received by the server side.

Nothing but byte level detail is useful.

> As Daniel suggested, here is some more information:
>
> libssh2 version: #define LIBSSH2_VERSION "1.2.7"

Ok. This should be a sane version, but it would still be good for you
to try out the latest code in git.

> libssh2 compiled and running on Windows XP, connecting to a Unix machine.

"Unix" doesn't say much. In particular it says nothing about the
relevant software; the ssh daemon. OpenSSH-x.ypz with $distro patches
is the level information you need to provide.

It could also be very useful to provide debug output from the SSH server.