Subject: Re: Using keys for private key

Re: Using keys for private key

From: Ted Lemon <mellon_at_fugue.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:55:08 -0400

On Jul 24, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Paresh Thakor <paresh.thakor_at_moontechnolabs.com> wrote:

> Can you suggest me on iPhone device, where my public and private keys will be? How can i send passphrase?

The server determines that you have your private key using your public key--it never sees the private key. The iPhone has the private key. If you use a passphrase, the user types it on the iPhone, and it is only used in libssh2_userauth_pubkey_*, never sent to server.

If you didn't encrypt the key, you don't need the passphrase--just use an empty string as on the example I sent.

The real trick on the iPhone is getting the public/private key pair there in the first place.