Subject: Re: Detecting broken connection

Re: Detecting broken connection

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:19 +0200

Jose Baars wrote:
> What also helps or might even be necessary
..
> is turning on SO_KEEPALIVE

Beware. Enabling TCP keepalive is not neccessarily a feature. For
example on a laptop which may have intermittent VPN connectivity, I
consider the keepalive default in Linux to be really superior. It's
great that the ssh connections just magically continue to work the
next time the VPN comes up.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO

> The SSH keepalive options might mitigate this, but I did not try,
> so no idea.

Yeah, they'll do the trick too.