Subject: Re: libssh2 hangs in channel_close()

Re: libssh2 hangs in channel_close()

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:25:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Peter Stuge wrote:

> commit 0ecd0eb37c02216bcb0c34797beb645bf14cf4bb removed the waiting for EOF
> and I believe this change originates in a somewhat different philosophy -
> one of more forcibly terminating the connection and shutting down more like
> *NOW*.
>
> I can understand the desire to not want to care about the server, but I
> don't think that it is the best we can do.

The change originates from the phiolosophy that libssh2 should NEVER end up in
an endless wait, which it quite obviously would previously.

> If there are problems with two-way EOF then let's investigate them
> thoroughly and learn what the problem is, rather than yank code that happens
> to trigger the symptom.

I agree with you that the nice thing to do here is to properly wait for the
EOF before shutting everything down, but clearly the previous change alone
wasn't good enough to do that, and therefore I think a half-baked "fix" is not
what we need.