Subject: Re: git branches remotes pushing master and origin :)

Re: git branches remotes pushing master and origin :)

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:56:14 +0000

On 22 February 2010 16:11, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:

>> Sorry, it was a mistake.  That'll teach me to use TortoiseGit.
>
> Did this happen using TortoiseGit?

Yes, though it was probably my fault.

>> Thanks for telling me how to fix it Peter.  Though it worries me
>> that I have no idea why those commands work, they just do.  That's
>> git all over.
>
> It can be complex because of git's distributed nature, which is
> what allows code to flow in and out of branches asymmectrically.

I'm familiar with and have no problems using Mercurial. It's just Git
that confuses me completely.

> Some background that may explain what happened:

Thanks for the tips :)

I don't understand the need for all this complexity though. Why is it
that Mercurial always seems to do what I expect while Git randomly
looks up an operation from its table of
things-a-user-would-never-possibly-want and applies that instead.

I realise that it's my own ignorance at fault here but, ultimately,
don't programmers have better things to be spending their time on than
the intricacies of the version control program.
</end rant at Git>

Alex