Subject: Re: Finally fixing password and kbd-int userauth, and git talk

Re: Finally fixing password and kbd-int userauth, and git talk

From: Dave McCaldon <davem_at_intersystems.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:07:16 -0500

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:

> Dave McCaldon wrote:
>>> I agree with Alexander, fix up uses of the now-deprecated pubkey
>>> define and this is good for a commit!
>>
>> I hate to open up another can of worms, but I left this alone
>> because there's another, similar define
>> LIBSSH2_ERROR_PUBLICKEY_UNVERIFIED. I'm not sure how this relates
>> to LIBSSH2_ERROR_PUBLICKEY_UNRECOGNIZED.
>
> I'm surprised you're not sure. It is unrelated and does not need to
> be touched.

The descriptions are vague:

LIBSSH2_ERROR_PUBLICKEY_UNRECOGNIZED:
The username/public key combination was invalid.

LIBSSH2_ERROR_PUBLICKEY_UNVERIFIED:
The username/public key combination was invalid, or the signature for the supplied public key was invalid.

It sounds like UNVERIFIED is a superset of UNRECOGNIZED plus the invalid signature, which is why I left both existing usages alone.

>> Is it reasonable to simply supply and additional patch, or do I
>> need to roll this back and create a new patch? (or maybe squish
>> the two into one -- my O'Reilly Git book just arrived today!).
>
> Please send a single patch, since it greatly helps when applying your
> changes.
>

> If anyone has questions about how to work with git to prepare patches
> then please just ask them and we'll try to answer. There is also a
> very helpful IRC channel #git on irc.freenode.net where you can get
> help from git experts almost 24/7.
>
> It is totally possible to change history in git, you can go back and
> make changes to an old commit, and then rebase any later events onto
> the new version of the old commit. Another pattern is to use branches
> a lot. I'm not using branches very much, but they can be very handy.
>
> This patch you sent was 2/2, so apparently it is not the only patch
> you have against current master? Or was the first one already pushed
> by Daniel?

Correct, I did a 'git pull', but not with --rebase.

> In that case you can git pull --rebase and after that
> would you only be a single commit ahead? If you only need to change
> the very latest commit in your repo then things are very simple, just
> change files, git add them, then git commit --amend
>
> Or do you need to change an older commit?

I have since committed a fix to the context strings in libssh_debug().