Subject: Re: mingw32 cross

Re: mingw32 cross

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:23:04 +0100

Hi,
Peter Stuge schrieb:
> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> For my other projects, I've decided that rather than having to do
>> massive fixes when someone reports that the examples are not
>> building, I'll include the examples in my daily builds where I'll
>> quickly discover that they aren't working -- and then I can either
>> fix the problem or back out the patch that broke the build.
>>
>> But I don't feel strongly about it.
>
> I feel more strongly about it. It makes no sense not to build
> examples by default when we have some examples. That is the most
I disagree; examples should be build optional. There are many users out
there who really dont care about samples because they only build libssh2
because they want to another project which depends on it, f.e. Perl /
PHP / any other language binding, curl ...

> likely first impression a new user will have from the library, and it
> should be available - and working.
and what about the non-new users? No, we waste time of many users if we
force each and everyone to build the samples.
On the other side nobody has sugested to drop the samples, nor to leave
them broken; so sure they should be working.
I second Daniel's proposal: lets make a makefile target for building
them, and let those samples which need it include ssh2_config.h - thats
acceptable for samples.

Gün.