Subject: Re: block,non-block on same connection

Re: block,non-block on same connection

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:00:12 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Peter Stuge wrote:

> No. If you need to process input from more than one SSH channel or
> file descriptor then you must use non-blocking I/O on everything.

> I consider this to be a fairly big problem in libssh2 that should be fixed,
> but I think the API needs to change and I think we should have at least one
> more release before that, quite possibly several.

I disagree that this is a problem and even if you could consider it a problem
it certainly cannot be seen as a bit one.

When you want to handle multiple streams, you use non-blocking APIs. That's
not something libssh2 has invented, it's a well known and well used paradigm
since ages. Why is this a problem at all?

If we wanted to, we could provide a function that allows different channels to
be blocking / non-blocking but it would probably not be a very good idea
anyway since the blocking one would risk somewhat destroy for the non-blocking
ones.