Subject: Re: GIT for idiot apprentice

Re: GIT for idiot apprentice

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:17:53 +0200

Hi Alex,
Alexander Lamaison schrieb:
> I'm not sure about the other parts but I had this problem myself
> yesterday. The reason is, we are trying to use GIT like SVN where you
> pull remote changes into your dirty working copy and they just get
> merged (with the occasional manual conflict resolution). GIT doesn't
> work this way. It will only pull remote changes into a clean working
> copy.
>
> The solution is to use 'git stash' to put your local, uncommitted
> changes on hold for the time being, then run 'git pull' (which should
> automerge nicely), then run 'git stash apply' which will merge your
> own changes back into the latest code and possibly require you to
> resolve conflict manually. Why does GIT insist on doing it this way?
> Not a clue. I've given up trying to understand GIT and now I just do
> what I'm told.
what a pain! Thanks a bunch! That seemed to have worked now!

> HTH
certainly it did!
Well, I guess one main reason why I learn so slow about GIT is that I
find only frustrating pain; and so far I only came over *one* marginal
benefit of GIT where a *skilled* user is able to send you a directly
mergable patch ..., and asking me all the time what else could be of
huge benefit to such a small project like libssh2? What else is
love-able with GIT that makes so many *love* GIT?

Gün.