Subject: Re: comparing with libssh

Re: comparing with libssh

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:02:26 +0100

2009/6/11 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> I noticed our "competitor" libssh[*] released a 0.3 version not too long ago,
> and I felt the need to try to help the world by pointing out differences
> between our two merry projects:
>
> http://libssh2.haxx.se/libssh2-vs-libssh.html
>
> [*] = http://www.libssh.org/

I've been meaning to bring this up. A long time ago I wasted many
months trying to use libssh on Windows when I should have been using
libssh2 all because of this text on www.libssh2.org: "This library is
not related to, derived from, or meant to supersede libssh by Aris
Adamantiadis. They are different projects using different code bases".
 For some reason I interpreted that as saying that libssh2 didn't do
the same thing as libssh and, as libssh *did* do what I wanted, by
implication libssh2 did not. Doh!

I was overjoyed when I found libssh2 and saw how well it worked on
Windows. I think we need just such a feature list as this and a
little bit more focus on marketing what is an excellent piece of
software.

> Please tell me where I'm wrong and what stuff I've missed/forgotten!

One major limitation of libssh at the time was that it required the
GNU toolchain (Cygwin/MinGW) so I couldn't use it my Visual Studio
project. I have no reason to believe this has changed.

Alex