Subject: Re: [libssh2] userauth_publickey question

Re: [libssh2] userauth_publickey question

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:16:34 -0800

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 06:39:04PM -0800, George King wrote:
> Can someone please explain why libssh2 requires both the public and private
> keys to authenticate a transaction? it strikes me as contrary to my (very
> limited) understanding of SSH. At the very least, it is less convenient than
> the other methods I have encountered.

It's required in the SSH protocol. OpenSSH works with just the private key
file because (for DSA keys, at least) the public key is also stored in the
file as well. libssh2 could be modified to extract that public key in the
same way as OpenSSH (as I suggested in this thread
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20070314185824.GA15066%40coneharvesters.com&forum_name=libssh2-devel)

>>> Dan