Subject: Re: [libssh2] preprocessor warning with LIBSSH2_APINO

Re: [libssh2] preprocessor warning with LIBSSH2_APINO

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:12:29 +0200

Hi,

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 10:43:13AM -0400, James Housley wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Jim,

> This still presents a problem for the HP-UX 11.x C compiler:
> $ cat a.c
> #define LIBSSH2_APINO 200706151200L

> #if (LIBSSH2_APINO >= 200706012030L)
> int a;
> #endif
> $ cc a.c
> cpp: "a.c", line 3: error 4044: Constant literal too large.
> cpp: "a.c", line 3: error 4044: Constant literal too large.

> --
> albert chin (china_at_thewrittenword.com)

as we slowly realize it seems that half of the platforms and compilers have this proplem....
we know now for sure that the LIBSSH2_APINO is bogus;
so I vote for an immediate removal of it -- I think its far better to make other projects break on compilation in future rather than have them compile with a warning which is probably going under, or not even displayed while turned off, and the user then smashes the head against the wall why the heck things dont work as they should. If compilation breaks then you know for sure that sonething went wrong, and the maintainers of those other projects are forced to change to our new concept.
Having the LIBSSH2_APINO in for ever is most worst thing I can think of.

> But that would break all other project, like PHP that use libssh2 and
not a big argument - the php extension didnt change for the last 13 months;
in addition it ships with an own copy of libssh2:
http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/pecl/ssh2/
finally Sara is maintainer, and can quickly change that;
regarding cURL we have anyway the control, and seems Daniel is fine with the change;
and for Net::SSH2 we can just self propose a patch to CPAN.

my 2 ct.

Guen.