Subject: Re: [libssh2] bagder: libssh2 HACKING, NONE, 1.1 Makefile.am, 1.11, 1.12

Re: [libssh2] bagder: libssh2 HACKING, NONE, 1.1 Makefile.am, 1.11, 1.12

From: James Housley <jim_at_thehousleys.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:53:53 -0400

On Jul 14, 2007, at 5:38 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, James Housley wrote:
>
>>> - keep source lines shorter than 80 columns
>
>> All of the work I did all the code is less then 132 columns.
>>
>> I tried to keep it as close to 80 as was reasonable without
>> breaking the lines in too many places so that the code became
>> unreadable in, especiall in gdb(1).
>
> Yeah, I realize we're not all agreeing on the line length limit but
> I wanted to throw it in to get the ball rolling.
>
> I personally prefer <80 columns but if you want longer lines, I can
> indeed bend on this.

In curl 80 columns works GREAT!! I have very few problems there,
sometimes it is a little tough in gdb with you can't see all of your
arguments but it is not a big deal.

The problem I have in libssh2, is that a lot of the function names
are close to 40 characters long. Add a variable and a couple of
arguments and a few indention levels at 4 char per and you are beyond
80 before getting anything useful. I release you and other, and even
me like to use 80 column terminal windows a lot, that is why I did
limit the line length to a fix value. I also did keep it as short as
possible without adding too many breaks, but the internal function's
names are just sooo long. That is my issue in this one project.

Jim

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .