Subject: Re: [libssh2] Documentation method

Re: [libssh2] Documentation method

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:15:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, James Housley wrote:

> There has been many changes to the code that needs to be documented. I see
> in the repository libssh2-doc, which is XML based DocBook. This looks like
> it might be what is driving the Wiki pages, but not sure. Daniel started a
> docs directory in with the source, which is much easier to have installed
> with libssh2 on Un*x systems and is capable of producing web pages (FreeBSD
> and Linux and others do).
>
> The question is how to proceed from here?

I want the docs to be:

1 - included in the release tarballs

2 - added to CVS

3 - installed as man pages on 'make install'

4 - Possibly as a bonus, available as HTML and PDF versions

In the curl project we've accomplished all this by simply writing the docs in
the nroff (man page) format and generating HTML and PDF from those. It has
worked fine and that's why I took that route. I'm not emotionally attached to
it so if someone feels strongly for another approach that works, then I'll
certainly be open for it.