Subject: Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. default mode

Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. default mode

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:52:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, James Housley wrote:

> I think maybe we should remove the *nb() functions and make the old names
> just work. I would also like to keep old programs working in all cases, as
> long as they didn't set non-blocking to true (since we know that didn't
> work). But before proceeding I would like to wait a while, April 29th, to
> allow others a chance to chime in.

We would then need to modify the prototypes for several of the old functions
as the non-blocking ones need to be able to return *_EAGAIN and there is a
bunch of functions in the 0.14 API that don't easily allow that without
modifications.

A few examples: libssh2_session_init_ex, libssh2_sftp_open_ex,
libssh2_sftp_init, ... Basically all that operations on sockets that return a
struct/handle.

So while this makes a bigger impact on existing applications, I'm still
leaning towards this being the better idea, to minimize the amount of function
entries and code.