Subject: [libssh2] query regarding HostBasedAuth

[libssh2] query regarding HostBasedAuth

From: Satish Mittal <satish.mittal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:05:54 +0530

Guyz,

I need a clarification here from you all regarding the functionality of
HostBasedAuthentication.

1) If the remote SFTP server admin wants to allow only Host based
authentication, then the remote sshd_config should have
'HostBasedAuthentication' set to yes, and the rest set to no, like
'PasswordAuthentication'. But should it also need to have
'PubKeyAuthentication' set to yes? Because the definition of HostBased
authentication is that it involves authenticating the client host *and* the
client public key authentication.
I tried setting 'HostBasedAuthentication' to yes, and rest of the two to no
at server side sshd_config. I was not able to connect to the remote server,
using the standard UNIX sftp utility itself. When I set the
'PubKeyauthentication' also to yes at server sshd_config, only then the
sftp utility at client side was able to login.

2) Is the list of supported authentication methods, which libssh2 library
receives from the remote SFTP server, generated on basis of which all auth
methods are set to yes in sshd_config?

Regards,
Satish

--
"The happiest of people donĀ“t necessarily have the best of everything, they
just make the most of everything that comes along their way."