Subject: Re: [libssh2] Publickey auth with SSH Tectia servers

Re: [libssh2] Publickey auth with SSH Tectia servers

From: Mononen Jussi <Jussi.Mononen_at_comptel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:21:06 +0200

>> The problem is that if I try to use libssh2_file_read_publickey
>> -function with a publickey converted to SECSH format it
>> failes "Invalid key data, not base64 encoded". As a result I can
>> use only OpenSSH formatted keys and that is unacceptable from the
>> Tectia server point of view.

Hi,

as a solution the libssh2_file_read_publickey -function should be able
to read both formats of public key files. Now it simply expects the key
body to start from the second line of the key file failing miserably to
parse SECSH formatted keys which have begin and end markers as well as
header and comment fields.

A simple string comparison test against the first line of the key file
is enough to distinguish SECSH and OpenSSH formatted keys. Then
libssh2_file_read_publickey -function would only need a way to extract
the public key body from the SECSH formatted file in order to use it.
Thus it would be possible to use OpenSSH formatted private key and SECSH
formatted public key together in authentication.

Does this sound reasonable?

I am currently using version 0.12 and I can not switch to the latest
version very easily. If I submit a patch for this could someone
introduce it to the CVS taking care of possible merging at the same
time?

br,

/jUSSi

--
perl -e '$@=[[0,0112,0,0],[0,0101,0,0],
[0,0120,0,0],[0,0110,0,0]];$[=256/8-0x1D;