Subject: Re: [libssh2] 32bit variables!

Re: [libssh2] 32bit variables!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:24:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Satish Mittal wrote:

> But finally we need to ensure that libssh2 runs clean on 64 bit unix
> platforms as well. So will we have a typedef for int datatypes, that would
> resolve to 64bit type on 64 bit platforms? How do we ensure that in libcurl?

We'd have a typedef for 32bit variables, not for int. And we only use that
explicit 32 bit type for situations when we ask for exactly 32bit data.

libcurl builds and runs on some 8(?) different 64bit architectures and I can't
say it was very hard to make it do that. It's just a matter of using clean and
suitable variable types all over.

If we ever need a 64bit variable, we'll of course use a suitable typedef name
for that too (like int64_t etc).

Of course libssh2 should build and run fine on 64bit systems and this is one
way to make sure it will. If no one else does, I should be able to give it a
go later on. Currently, libssh2 has several portability issues that prevents
it from building on virtually every POSIX system, but they're no biggies and I
mean to address them over time.