Subject: Re: client-side only vs. libssh?

Re: client-side only vs. libssh?

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:02:48 +0100

Lawson wrote:
> Now assume I have an app that wants to be able to speak in all 3
> flavors (plain, SSL, SSH).

Are you familiar with the SSH protocol? It's not really comparable to
TCP or SSL.

If an app wants to speak SSH it will need an API very different from
what TCP or SSL offers.

> In my initial tests of libssh2 it wasn't long before I found myself
> stuck in _libssh2_wait_socket (I think that's the name) without a
> timeout (it *almost* implemented a timeout! :)

What version of libssh2 was this? Did you report it? If you set
non-blocking and the library hung then that's obviously a bug.

Several fairly severe issues regarding communications stability have
been resolved lately, so if you haven't tried the very latest code in
git, I would suggest to see if the problem is still present there.

> So I have to know how everything I depend on will behave.

I found that the best way to do this is to get involved in the
codebase, see what problems others are experiencing and maybe even
fixing some of their bugs if you know they will also matter to you.