Subject: Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. standard functions

Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. standard functions

From: Lucas Newman <lucas_at_delicious-monster.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:18:17 -0700

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> There was no (proper) support for non-blocking operations in the
> past so this
> function obviously didn't set non-blocking in the sense I would
> think it
> means. Actually, after having read the docs in the libssh2.org wiki,
> I simply
> cannot see how it worked like this before and I'm quite sure it
> doesn't work
> like this now.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tested libssh2_sftp_readnb() across a
slow connection that would actually block? I have never seen it block
in actual usage, because there is still a blocking transaction when
each ~30k packet is sent, so if your connection is going to block then
you are probably (in my experience) still going to block on that
initial required response rather than the actual data packet.

Daniel has done a lot of good work under the hood to prepare for non-
blocking support at this higher sftp level, but a little more work
will need to be done to get pure non-blocking behavior from all sftp
operations. I'm happy to hear you are taking this on Jim; I am
definitely interested in seeing non-blocking support in libssh2 improve!