Subject: Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. standard functions

Re: [libssh2] Non-blocking vs. standard functions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:11:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, James Housley wrote:

> While it always has been possible for the consumer of libssh2 to call
> libssh2_channel_set_blocking() and turn off blocking, did it work?

There was no (proper) support for non-blocking operations in the past so this
function obviously didn't set non-blocking in the sense I would think it
means. Actually, after having read the docs in the libssh2.org wiki, I simply
cannot see how it worked like this before and I'm quite sure it doesn't work
like this now.

> If it does work, are there programs that are depending on that
> functionality? The fix looks like it might be straight forward, just not
> force blocking on.

That fix would bring back the old funtionality indeed, but I don't think it'll
make the function actually work as documented.

> If it doesn't work, should it be dropped from the external interface.

I vote in favour of dropping it.