Subject: Re: [libssh2] libssh2_sftp_read() and libssh2_sftp_write() return type?

Re: [libssh2] libssh2_sftp_read() and libssh2_sftp_write() return type?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:18:32 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Mononen Jussi wrote:

> I'd say that changing an established API is a bad thing. It means lots of
> extra maintenance effort for those applications using libssh2. At the least
> you would have to provide the old API for backward compatibility.

Well yes, but we're talking about a library that currently exists in version
0.14 - I would argue that people will more or less expect minor API/ABI
changes then.

Also, providing a backwards compatible API will be very painful if the changes
are big enough. Like I intend to work on making libssh2 to be properly
non-blocking (at least in the most important areas) and that will most likely
cause new behaviour for a vast amount of functions. I have no plans to provide
a backwards compatible API for that work. It will simply *HAVE TO* break
compatibility with the existing API.

Being anal about this will hamper development, IMHO.

I don't argue that we would change anything that is fine and works fine today.