Subject: Re: [libssh2] Introduction, plans, and some pkg-config problems

Re: [libssh2] Introduction, plans, and some pkg-config problems

From: Simon Josefsson <jas_at_extundo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:36:56 +0100

James Housley <jim_at_thehousleys.net> writes:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Mike Blaguszewski wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>> Hello everyone! I'm attempting to port libssh2 to use libgcrypt
>>> instead of OpenSSL.
>> While I agree that adding support for libgcrypt would be nice, I'd
>> really prefer that it didn't replace the existing OpenSSL
>> dependency. I use libssh2 in a Mac OS X environment, where OpenSSL
>> comes already installed. The GNU version would be another
>> dependency I'd have to build and ship with my app. The fact that
>> it's LGPL will also require bundling a dynamic library, whereas
>> libssh2 can currently be static-linked.
>> Perhaps a generic crypto interface is in order, so we could choose
>> the library at compile time?
> I agree that converting would be very bad, but adding the ability to
> choose is good.

My intention is to allow the user to chose between OpenSSL and
libgcrypt at build-time. I suppose the default should remain OpenSSL,
but if OpenSSL isn't available, trying to use libgcrypt seems like a
nice idea.

I intend to do this through a generic wrapper-API, a'la
libssh2_sha1_init, libssh2_sha1_update etc, and have the OpenSSL and
libgcrypt-specific parts be in only one file.

What do you think?

libssh2-devel mailing list