Subject: Re: [libssh2] 32bit variables!

Re: [libssh2] 32bit variables!

From: Satish Mittal <satish.mittal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:12:28 +0530

On 11/11/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Satish Mittal wrote:
> > But finally we need to ensure that libssh2 runs clean on 64 bit unix
> > platforms as well. So will we have a typedef for int datatypes, that
> would
> > resolve to 64bit type on 64 bit platforms? How do we ensure that in
> libcurl?
> We'd have a typedef for 32bit variables, not for int. And we only use that
> explicit 32 bit type for situations when we ask for exactly 32bit data.
> libcurl builds and runs on some 8(?) different 64bit architectures and I
> can't
> say it was very hard to make it do that. It's just a matter of using clean
> and
> suitable variable types all over.
> If we ever need a 64bit variable, we'll of course use a suitable typedef
> name
> for that too (like int64_t etc).
> Of course libssh2 should build and run fine on 64bit systems and this is
> one
> way to make sure it will. If no one else does, I should be able to give it
> go later on. Currently, libssh2 has several portability issues that
> prevents
> it from building on virtually every POSIX system, but they're no biggies
> and I
> mean to address them over time.

O.K. great! I myself am planning to build libssh2 on 4 Unix (32 &64 bit)
platforms, by this month end. The only thing is that I have the original
libssh2 code base and don't have all the various code changes that you guys
have done till now, to try out the latest code.

"The happiest of people donĀ“t necessarily have the best of everything, they
just make the most of everything that comes along their way."